2018 December Astrological Forecast
The day of Saturn marks the start of December, while the waning Virgo Moon surveys this year’s culmination. Venus revisits Scorpio the following day (12/2/18), as Mercury‘s direct station (12/6/18), also in Scorpio, precedes the New Moon in Sagittarius (12/7/18). Until the twelfth of December, Mercury remains in Scorpio. Thereafter, the Aquarian apogee Moon illuminates Mercury’s ingress into Sagittarius (12/12/18), passing its shadow zone by the twenty-fourth. Venus and Mars remain in Scorpio and Pisces, respectively, until the end of December, when Mars ingresses into Aries, its cardinal, diurnal domicile. Finally, the Sun, Mercury, and Jupiter blaze through the Archer, until the solstice sees the Sun’s ingress into Saturn-ruled Capricorn.
Until the Capricorn solstice, an elemental water-fire combination dominates December’s celestial compass, while an air-void permeates the backdrop. Water-fire compositions develop emotional and intellectual experience, combining perceptual depth with necessary detachment. The month’s persistent air-void, however, can challenge our capacity to incorporate new ideas and maintain objective reflection. As the solstice ushers the Capricorn Sun’s earthy contribution to December’s elemental structure, focus is placed on activity, emotions, and the material sphere. An air-void, however, suggests the omission of intellectual assimilation. Because air’s unifying quality enables swift adjustment to new perspectives (including people), self-analysis and objectivity can be a challenging balance to employ.
The Capricorn Solstice
The Capricorn solstice, on December twenty-first (5:22 PM ET), portends the Sun’s six-month passage. Activating the Northern Hemisphere’s shortest day, the solstice envelops the Southern Hemisphere’s lengthier days with sweltering climate. As the nodal axis bestrides Cancer-Capricorn, its first, partial solar eclipse occurs at 15°25′ Capricorn (1/6/19).
Saturn, posited at the Sun-Pluto midpoint, forges the weight of power in the governmental sphere. Organizations in the public sector, such as law enforcement and police ‘services’, can be coerced to consolidate existing societal ranks. Heralding the Saturn-Pluto cycle, the emphasis is on commerce, an unsustainable economy, and hierarchical structures. Like the bifurcation properties of November’s Full Moon in Gemini, conflict can erupt from humanity’s uncooperative extremism.
Mars into Aries
December’s closure emits the first arc minutes of Mars’ ingress into the Warrior, Aries. In his domicile, Mars in Aries readily possesses the tools to initiate and consummate its quest. Depending on Mars’ presence (via sect, dignity, placement, and aspects), we may experience Mars’ more constructive qualities regarding a specific sector in our charts. Whereas November witnessed both Benefics (Venus and Jupiter) in their respective domiciles, December’s curtains draw with Saturn and Mars (the Greater and Lesser Malefics, respectively), in their domiciles (Capricorn and Aries).
December 2018 Lunations
On December 7th, 2018, the New Moon at 15°07′ Sagittarius conjoins fixed star Hercules, and squares the exact Mars-Neptune conjunction. Disposited by Jupiter, this is the second, consecutive lunation activating a Moon-Mars square. Notably, the last New Moon, at 17°16′ Sagittarius, with Jupiter at 27°45′ Sagittarius, occurred eleven years ago, on December 9th, 2007.
At 0°49′ Cancer, December’s Full Moon follows the winter solstice, calibrating the intricate balance between nurture and achievement. An ameliorating pause from the ferocity propelled from the prior two lunations’ squares to Mars, December’s Full Moon offers unexpected pleasantries, excitement, and reconciliatory possibilities. This auspicious lunation, disposited by Luna, conjoins fixed star Betelgeuse and sextiles Uranus. In the backdrop, the Venus-Neptune trine activates creativity and compassion.
Saturn Cazimi occurs on the second of January, exact at 11°31′ Capricorn. This Cazimi is opportune for cementing long-term endeavors, provided that we willingly execute the laborious persistence required by Saturn. Saturn Cazimi will be fully explored in a forthcoming post.
December 2018 Astrological Forecast Calendar
- 11/30/18: Venus opposite Uranus at 29°08′ Libra-Aries (8:56 PM ET).
- 12/1/18: Mercury retrograde at 29°59′ Scorpio (6:12 AM ET), Moon into Libra, square Saturn at 7°57′ Libra-Capricorn (11:44 PM ET).
- 12/2/18: Sun square Mars at 10°44′ Sagittarius-Pisces (6:33 PM ET), Venus ingresses into its detriment, Scorpio (12:02 PM ET), Chiron trine Nodes at 27°55′ Pisces-Cancer-Capricorn.
- 12/4/18: Mercury Retrograde trine Chiron Retrograde at 27°55′ Scorpio-Pisces.
- 12/5/18: Sun square Neptune at 13°43′ Sagittarius-Pisces (5:29 PM ET).
- 12/6/18: Mars conjunct Neptune at 13°44′ Pisces (9:42 AM ET), Mercury stations direct at 27°18′ Scorpio (4:22 PM ET) decan III, Moon into Sagittarius.
- 12/7/18: Mercury trine North Node at 27°42′ Scorpio-Cancer (12:42 AM ET), New Moon at 15°07′ Sagittarius (2:19 AM ET), Mars conjunct Neptune at 13°44′ Pisces (9:11 AM ET)
- 12/9/18: Moon into Capricorn.
- 12/11/18: Moon into Aquarius, Sun in Sagittarius, decan II.
- 12/12/18: Apogee Moon, Mercury ingresses into its detriment, Sagittarius (6:43 PM ET).
- 12/13/18: Neptune trine Ceres at 13°47′ Pisces (7:29 PM ET).
- 12/14/18: Moon into Pisces.
- 12/15/18: First Quarter Moon at 23°27′ Pisces.
- 12/16/18: Moon into Aries, Mars sextile Pluto at 20°06′ Pisces-Capricorn (1:59 AM ET), Venus sextile Saturn at 9°34′ Scorpio-Capricorn (9:18 AM ET).
- 12/18/18: Moon into Taurus.
- 12/19/18: Sun square Chiron at 27°56′ Sagittarius-Pisces (4:40 PM ET).
- 12/20/18: Sun trine Uranus at 28°43′ Sagittarius-Aries (11:08 AM ET).
- 12/21/18: Moon into Gemini, Capricorn Solstice (5:23 PM ET), Sun ingresses into Capricorn, decan I, Venus trine Neptune at 13°53′ Scorpio-Pisces (11:47 AM ET), Mercury conjunct Jupiter at 9°34′ Sagittarius (12:29 PM ET).
- 12/22/18: Full Moon at 0°49′ Cancer, decan I, (12:48 PM ET).
- 12/24/18: North Node direct at 26°50′ Cancer (6:48 AM ET), Moon into Leo, Mercury square Neptune at 13°57′ Sagittarius-Pisces (7:32 PM ET).
- 12/26/18: Venus at perihelion.
- 12/27/18: Mars trine North Node at 26°53′ Pisces-Cancer (6:00 AM ET), Venus sextile Lilith retrograde at 19°9′ Scorpio-Capricorn (6:55 AM ET), Venus conjunct Ceres at 19°17′ Scorpio (10:04 AM ET), Moon into Virgo.
- 12/28/18: Venus sextile Pluto at 20°29′ Scorpio-Capricorn (4:23 PM ET).
- 12/29/18: Mars conjunct Chiron at 28°4′ Pisces, Last Quarter Moon at 7°36′ Libra.
- 12/30/18: Pluto sextile Ceres at 20°33′ Capricorn-Scorpio.
- 12/31/18: Moon into Scorpio, Mars ingresses into its domicile, Aries.
January 2, 2019: Saturn Cazimi, (exact Sun conjunct Saturn) at 11°31′ Capricorn.
January 2019 Eclipses:
- 1/6/19: Partial Solar Eclipse at 15°25′ Capricorn.
- 1/21/19: Total Lunar Eclipse at 0°52′ Leo.
Michelsen & Pottenger, The American Ephemeris 2000-2050 at Midnight.
Copyright © Saturn and the Sun Astrology. All rights reserved.